Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Pregnancy Update #1

So far it seems my pregnancy has been pretty simple and uneventful. I was only queasy for a few weeks about the middle of the 1st trimester. Nothing more than queasy, thank goodness! Smells were terrible - not as bad now. Some of the rest areas while traveling got the best of me. For a few weeks I was tired enough to take naps after work and still go to bed at my normal time (between 10-11 pm). I feel like I'm hitting a phase of being tired again but I'm trying to get to bed closer to 10 than 11 these days to try and prevent that and keep me functioning at work. The worst thing is right now I have food aversions to all food. I gag just thinking about what I need to eat... especially chicken and salad. Huh. Two things I've always loved. Any suggestions on that one? I worry that I'm not getting enough food, but what I eat is relatively healthy. What else? Oh yes, the famous baby bump. Well, I'm only 14 1/2 weeks along so I don't feel like I am quite at the point of having one, but some say that they can see it since I'm not gaining weight anywhere but my tummy area. It is most likely just the clothes I am wearing that make the difference. I have only gained a couple pounds total (on a good day) and the doctor told me I need to eat more - ergh! I do know that I can't button my regular pants anymore and I love the one pair of maternity khakis I have (the kind you can make different sizes to accommodate the growing belly... I'm not jumping the gun! I just want to be comfy!).

Hesitantly I attach pictures for you to judge for yourself. Left is 13 weeks and right is 7 weeks.


Let's see... emotionally I think I'm pretty stable so far. I admit that I feel slightly more stressed at work and less patient with the phone calls at work. Other than that I haven't had any breakdowns or thrown anything at Kelley yet. Lucky guy - ha!

I do have to thank Kelley for being such a great husband through all this. He is always willing to get me anything I want to eat, takes care of the house, rubs my back every night, and compliments me. What a fabulous man I have! [Kelley will add any comments/disagreements to what I wrote...]

KELLEY'S ADDITION:
I love that Joo Lin is pregnant...or as I call it, prego! I love that Joo Lin lets me be quirky and talk to her stomach and the baby every night before we go to bed. It's my payment for giving her a back rub. I also love that she has cravings because I get to benefit from them too. I think most of her cravings results from my cravings though. My little sister is also prego, six weeks ahead of us, so I talk with her and she always tells me when she is extra cranky so I just remember those moments and I am extra nice to Joo Lin when that time rolls around. I also like that our Doctor is a Beaver Alumni too!

3 comments:

Jenn Mize said...

First and foremost, note the time on this post. If it doesn't show up, the times is 2:26 AM. Yes, that would be the middle of the night. If you're lucky you won't have problems sleeping later on. One thing that I do suggest is getting a body pillow if you don't already have one. Or, what I have heard works even better is called a snoogle, specifically for pregnant ladies.
As for the food, just eat whatever you crave. I never really had any aversions other than chocolate. :( But my sister-in-law did big time, and her Dr. said that as soon as she crave something (No matter what it is, within reason, you don't want to always crave chocolate) then just eat it.
At about 16 weeks for me I started to feel the little guy move. Ever so slightly, and now he kicks me all the time. It's so fun, and such a comforting feeling. I'm so excited for you guys! Pregnancy is SO cool! :)
How's everything else for you guys? Is Kelly working now? Tell everyone at Clair I said hi! :)

Janelle said...

Don't worry about not eating enough, as long as you're eating healthy. While you're pregnant you only need an extra 300 calories a day, which is like a glass of whole milk and a yogurt cup. It's not that much more. I never got sick, only queasy during my 1st trimester...I couldn't stand wheat or the smell of tap water (Cleveland water is pretty nasty). If you can find them where you live, Flat Earth makes fruit flavored chips, which will satisfy a sweet craving, a salty one, a munchy one, and is still pretty healthy. If get them at my grocery store.

Jennifer Richins said...

Okay, so I can't give you any advice on being pregnant, but I can say that you have NO baby bump! I don't even see a slight bump. I'm sure it will come soon enough, though.