I love General Conference when it rolls around every six months. I also love watching it from home with DVR because then I can pause it to meet the needs of the girls. It's such an amazing experience to hear the Prophet and other leaders of the Church teach us. To have my questions answered and feel of the Spirit. Now it's even more meaningful to share the experience with the girls.
This year I did the word game - different bowls of candy for various words. Three kinds to keep it simple, and because Seoul is 3 (her number for everything these days!) Seoul was very excited in the days leading up to Conference because I let her help choose the kinds of candy. She did surprisingly well during all four sessions (when she was awake). She caught a lot of the words and of course loved eating the candy. Sydney loved getting candy when Seoul heard the words.
I also cut out the following activity from the Friend Magazine. There are pictures of the First Presidency and Twelve Apostles with corresponding chairs. I did opt to skip the pulpit this time. Seoul enjoyed identifying the men as they spoke. She did get hung up on the color of the ties and the color of their hair. If they had different color ties on or if their hair was grayer in person than it was in the picture she said it wasn't the same person. Goofball! She definitely knows President Monson and President Eyring. I think she is a little intimidated by President Uchtdorf's name, but I'm pretty sure she knows him.
I hope to instill a love of General Conference in the girls. I love that Seoul already recognizes so much and loves the church music. I think the seeds of a testimony are already planted and they just need to be nourished. She loves going to church and to nursery. She hears various phrases in the talks and prayers and tells me. What a blessing to be members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

2 comments:
Ha, Emma printed out the same activity from the Friend and used it in a FHE lesson. We planned on pulling it out for Conference and we totally forgot. We found it a couple weeks AFTER Conference. All of Emma's efforts for nothing.
What a great idea with the candy! I need to do something for Jack in the fall. Everything I saw seemed to old for him but we have got to do something cause it is really a hard time for all of us!
Post a Comment