Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Rewards for sleeping? Oh, c'mon!

I never got around to posting this in January when we did it. Oops.

I love sleep. It baffles me a bit that my girls don't so much. I get it, kids think they're missing something exciting. They're not (at least in this house).


This project had two purposes:

#1 - Seoul was getting out of bed. A lot. When we put her down to sleep as well as multiple times through the night. I was hating the bedtime routine because it was stressful.

#2 - Seoul has been trying to eliminate her afternoon nap for months and I refuse to let her. So I thought a reward chart might be helpful.


Consequently we have two charts: a bedtime routine chart and a sleep reward chart. For the bedtime routine chart she had so much fun helping with pictures and gluing them on the poster board. It has helped streamline bedtime and keep her on track. To this day she still refers back to the chart for fun. The best part? She enjoys picking up the house before going to bed. The nights it is late and we say we can skip it she is bummed. For the sleep reward chart, there were three parts: taking a nap, staying in bed when we put her there at night, and sleeping through the night in her own bed. We would set a number of stickers she had to earn and then she got the reward she chose. A DQ ice cream was the most motivating reward. Last week she straight up told me she's done with the reward chart. Boo! At least she is still in decent habits for sleeping, although she is back to refusing to take naps.

Here's a video of Seoul explaining the charts to Kelley when he got home from work. Don't mind Sydney eating the plastic strawberry!




At least for a while the days were less stressful for me - fighting to get her to sleep twice a day was definitely taking a toll on me. It's been nice the last couple months. Any suggestions for getting her to take naps?? I cannot wrap my brain around no naps permanently. I love that girl to pieces, but she is ridiculously stubborn!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Sleeping issues are the worst! And these summer months coming up are the hardest cause it is so light outside until like 10. Jack just doesn't get why he has to sleep. That chart really is cute!