Friday, August 31, 2012

Girlcation to Utah (to become an annual me-trip somewhere like Kelley's mancation...?)

So one day Kelley suggested I take a little vacation and go see my college girlfriends. I jumped on the idea, and booked a ticket. I'm pretty sure as time went on and I left the state Kelley definitely had some second thoughts. I have never left the girls, and this was the first time away from Sydney at all. I was nervous but honestly, looked forward to the break. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being a stay-at-home mom & wife with all my heart, but everybody can use a change of scenery. So, off I went...

Kerri and I were roommates starting freshman year at BYU, and somehow she put up with me for the next four years. Boy, am I grateful for that because she is one of the best people I know! We graduated 10 years ago... holy smokes!

This picture is from the trip. College was pre-digital photo days and I've never scanned any.

She introduced me to a breakfast place called Bruges Waffles, and it was delish! Funny: Kerri cut up peaches and we took them to put on top of our waffles. I'm all about saving a buck or THREE... just for a topping.





We did some shopping - I tried to take advantage of the more modest fashions in Utah. Plus I figured it was a weekend for me so I could splurge a bit since I rarely buy anything for myself! Then we headed to Amy's house to hang out and watch the Olympics Opening Ceremonies. Good times! Kerri really got into it with a themed cake - yum! Amy's kiddo, Jack, called them the Olympkicks - cute! Each of the following evenings we tuned in and watched the highlights - those athletes are absolutely amazing.




Day two of the adventure found us at Cafe Rio. LOVE. Amy and her little cutie, Sophie, are so fun to be with also!





Two great things today: the temple and In-N-Out. Should those be ranked together in the same sentence? Hm. Unfortunately the Salt Lake Temple was closed during my trip so we hit up the Jordan River Temple. All temples are so beautiful. It was neat to do a session with Kerri!







We also headed down to Provo - a quick stop at Bridal Veil Falls. So beautiful with fantastic (but hot) weather! I remember as roommates we'd go there once in a while. Then we had to go to BYU campus so I could get new Cougar gear for the family! Finally dinner at Brick Oven and BYU Creamery ice cream to go (Graham Canyon, Strawberry Sundae Crunch, and Roasted Almond Fudge) - so yummy!










Sunday morning we had a nice brunch with another college girlfriend, Annie. It was great to catch up! Church was uplifting, and I was able to partake because I didn't have two girls and a calling to distract me. I even took notes - oh my! Sunday evening we had dinner at Amy's house and just hung out.



It was such a fun weekend - thanks Kerri & Amy for letting me interrupt your lives! So, you noticed another little friend in my pictures? Seoul let me take Jasper the Giraffe so I wouldn't miss them too much. So I thought it would be fun to document him at each of our fun locations.



I survived missing my family but lots of phone calls, and the neat thing called FaceTime on our iPhones. What great blessings we have! When I got home the girls took a little while to having me around... Seoul actually told me to go away again :) I think it was good for all of us to have a change. Kelley was exhausted and took a nap as soon we got home from the airport - haha! He did so great and I'm so grateful that he was supportive of this trip.


[July 2012]

3 comments:

The Evans Family said...

So fun! I am jealous. Isn't any trip to Utah all about the food? Cafe Rio--oh yum! Glad you had a good time and yes, everybody can use a little change of scenery. The giraffe was a great idea.

Amy said...

So fun! We had a great time! And I loved face timing with your family too! Kelley is so nice to let you venture and I'm glad he got to enjoy a nap when you came home!

K-Cos said...

Sooooo fun to have you here! Come and visit any time! It was just the change of scenery I needed to! Love you JuJus!