Kelley treated me to a getaway in January. It was a combination celebration of our wedding anniversary, his new job, and time together before the baby comes. It was fun driving together and just being able to talk and laugh without entertaining little ones. First we hit up Seaside to stretch our legs and get something to eat. Must love the Pig 'N Pancake for breakfast all day long! We rode the carousel and walked the beach. Lots of hand-holding and talking... it's been far too long :) Fortunately the weather was beautiful today! The interesting thing was watching this gentleman measure, mark out, and scientifically set up the launch of his kite. The disturbing thing was a dead seal that we saw being kicked by kids then beheaded and dismembered for samples by some scientists. Ugh.
Next we headed up the coast to check in at the Cannery Pier Hotel and look around Astoria. Our room was right over the water with a fantastic view... of the fog :) No beautiful sunset this time around. We booked the car that came to take us to any restaurant of our choice. We checked out the beautiful room and ship-gazed for a bit with the binoculars that were provided. Later we went down to the lobby for a wine & cheese tasting. No worries, we didn't indulge in wine but the cheese and hot chocolate were super yummy!
The funny thing is that we were excited to watch some cable TV since we don't have it at home. I napped. Then we were picked up by a chauffeur in a Cadillac to go to the Silver Salmon Grille. Unfortunately my salmon wasn't cooked and my dessert wasn't the best so it wasn't the best dining experience I've ever had but Kelley's food was yummy. Always an adventure with us, and being "unclassy" we didn't know the driver would automatically come back to pick us up in a couple hours. Oh well - it made us laugh.
Borderline TMI (sorry!), I indulged in a bath because the tub was longer than I was tall! Spectacular.
We loved the King size bed. I loved sleeping through the night with no interruption. Ironically I felt drowsy all day the next day because I am not used to getting so much sleep. We did sleep in a bit. Then we enjoyed the continental breakfast before heading out to the Columbia River Maritime Museum. It was neat to wander and see the various exhibits. We drove up to the Astoria Column but we didn't walk up. Last time we went up I threw a plane from the top and it was a bad throw so I told Kelley to catch it. Sweet man that he is he tried... and he's scared of heights. So it wasn't a great experience for him. The weather was icky today. Then we drove down the coast sightseeing. We ended up in Lincoln City to eat at Mo's. We got some salt water taffy for the girls, then headed home.
The girls had fun with their cousins - grateful for their generosity in baby-sitting. They didn't even miss us :)
It was a lovely weekend - thanks Kelley! I love that we're married, that we're best friends, and we have such a great future in store for us. Congratulations to us for all our blessings :)
For the record Kelley was down 28.2 pounds and I was 26 weeks pregnant.
{January 2013}
No comments:
Post a Comment